Saturday, March 31, 2012

Silly Saturday - "Happy" Movies that Still Scare me to death

Today's Silly Saturday is about two movies that for most people are movies they grew to love as kids, but for me - I have always been deathly afraid of them. Wizard of Oz and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
Wizard of Oz and that Wicked Witch of the West and her flying monkeys:
Most people love this movie- including my mom. I still can't even listen to the wicked witch's music. My mom says that when I was little I would go running - practically sprinting - into my room and hide under the covers whenever they'd watch this movie. And the loving, caring sister that I have, would enjoy playing the movie just to watch me run. (I wouldn't be surprised if she just skipped right to the part with the Wicked Witch in it.) Sisterly love. But if you really think about it - there is something inherently frightening about this "person." First of all - she is green. Why, I don't know. But the fact that she was green, scared me straight off. Green people = not good. Second - she spied on you (assuming that you were worthy of being spied on) through her "magic globe". She's almost like the evil Santa Clause (always knows what you're doing, when you're doing it, and where you are). Why would I want a green person spying on me. Third - that laugh. It just screams "I am evil! Fear me!" There's always an evil laugh with bad people in movies. You are supposed to fear the laugh. The laugh is how you know that that person is really the villain in the movie, because sometimes characters can be presented as the villain but aren't really. You have to watch for the laugh! Fourth - doesn't she not only spy on Dorthy but also admits out loud that she is going to kidnap Toto - the dog, and also locks Dorthy up in a room high up and the hour glass thing! "I'll get you, my pretty. And you're little dog, too!" Fourth, and maybe most important - the flying monkeys. The flying monkeys are frightening on their own. But when you add them with the Wicked Witch. Then you have one frightening team. These monkeys are terrifying. Who ever thought of flying monkeys?! And it would be one thing if they were like cartoon flying monkeys - that look friendly and nice. But these monkeys just look evil. Wicked Witch of the West and the flying Monkeys made the Wizard of Oz - normally a beloved movie - terrifying for me.
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - this one people are always astonished at. The reason being they only remember the happy singing moments - the flying car - Dick Van Dyke and all. The always seem to forget the evil Witch/Wizard/ Warlock guy. Everyone forgets about him and the Queen (I think she was a Queen - who claimed to eat kids) - how could they forget about this?! I mean not only does this guy spy on the kids through the window (again with the spying through glass). But he then lures them outside with his "ice cream truck", pretends to be the ice cream man, somehow gets them in the back of the truck, locks them in there and takes them to the Queen. How is this not frightening people?!?! Plus just looking at the guy he looks creepy. Almost like Snape with the long black greasy hair (maybe that's where J.K. Rowling got the idea from) - but Snape isn't creepy, presented as evil at times, yes, but never creepy. Whereas this guy has PURE CREEP written across his forehead, practically.
Now what is even more terrifying than these two villains - is when you combine them. Oh yeah, that's right, we're going there. One night, I had one of the most terrifying nightmares I've ever had. It still - to this day - sits on the top 10, if not top 5 scariest nightmares I've had. In the dream - no nightmare. In the nightmare. It was Christmas Eve and my sister and my brother were sleeping in my bed, (we always slept in the same bed on Christmas Eve so no one could sneak out to see Santa - usually it was in my sister's bed because it was bigger. But for some reason that "year" it was my bed.) And we were all getting "tucked in" by mom and dad when I looked out into the hallway and in the bathroom (you could see inside the bathroom from my room) was the Flying Monkeys from Wizard of Oz AND the warlock, wizard guy from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Why they were hanging out in my bathroom and how they got there - I have no idea, that's not the point. They were in the bathroom - in the house. Now we're going to jump around a little because I only remember parts of it - try to forget the whole thing, but can't shake it. So the evil ones kidnapped Me, My brother, My mom and my Dad. Somehow my sister escaped and it was up to her and her friend, Janice - don't ask how she got into this whole mess - to save us. He was taking us to the Queen, of course, so she could eat us. (Not sure what he planned on doing with my parents, since the Queen only ate kids.) But yeah, I remember my sister and Janice could fly - literally fly - like a bird. They literally flew in to save the day. They saved us and we "lived happily ever after". But still to this day - one of the scariest nightmares I have. I have goosebumps just thinking about it.
Anyways, that's all I have for Silly Saturday. That was a long post - made up for the rather short ones all this week.
Come back tomorrow for Sunday Family Funday!!! Thanks for "tuning in".

No comments:

Post a Comment