Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Obsessed with Tuesday

So today is Obsessed with Tuesday, where I will be writing about one (or many) of my current "obsessions." Sometimes it'll be something that i know i'm obsessed with, other times it'll be something that I might be obsessed with and others will be things that people tell me I'm obsessed with, but that I could really live without, if I had to. My biggest challenge by far will be picking just one obsession per Tuesday and sticking to that one. I can already see my mind wandering away every week. But I'm gonna do my best to stay to one so ya'll don't get lost in my rambling.
Today's Obsession: Telling/Finding the Story
So I thought it was fitting and perfect that I started off the Obsessions with the umbrella obsession of trying to find and tell the story. There are many other obsessions and posts (on other days) that will definitely fall under this one. So yeah it's kind of perfect that the first obsession is this. I'm always trying to find a story to tell, the story to tell. Figuring out how to tell it. There have been so many stories already in my life - of heartbreak, redemption, happiness, laughter, just stories that have to be told that are all of those in one... Stories from my family, friends stories... The list goes on and on. But I am completely obsessed with them all, and making sure that each one is told in the right way. Sometime's I don't know what "the right way" is until I try telling it in 5 other ways first, sometimes I just know it when I start writing it. Sometimes it drives me nuts that I can't find a story to tell, or how to tell it right so it clicks with someone. Other times there are voices from the story that yell out to me so loud I can't ignore them. (These are usually the nights where I get no homework done, but a lot of "work" done.) I feel like this is normal for a lot of writers - that people experience this all the time. (Someone please correct me, if I'm wrong though.)
Examples - my Thesis - How the hell to write a story that's already been written, but means so much to me because of my family and everything that's happened with him. ????
How to put my own spin on a tale that's already been told - the BIG question that anyone and everyone trying to write any kind of story asks. I ask it every time I sit down to write anything. It drives me nuts. Sometimes I can ignore it, other times I can't. Usually if I can't ignore it, it means that that story was not mine to tell.
I'm also always trying to find the romance in a story - for reason - probably the hopeless romantic that I am - I always think that there's romance to be found in every story. It sounds crazy, I know. But sometimes we can't help what we think. I don't know. Anyways, maybe that should be saved for another obsession.
If you are friends with me, or even mere acquaintances - be aware. I am probably trying to find some type of a story between us, or with just you, or whatever. hahaha. Okay now I'll probably scare readers off...
I supposed that this is enough rambling on about obsessions for today.
Join us tomorrow for Welcome to .... Wednesday!

2 comments:

  1. Finding the story is sure not a bad obsession for a writer to have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding the story is how I approach my work as a Digital Librarian working with archives. There is always a story to tell.

    I have to say that you rambling is slightly better than Faulkner's stream of consciousness. Do us a favor and don't read Faulkner before you write a blog. :) haha

    ReplyDelete