Monday, April 9, 2012

Maddening Young Love Monday - People tell me...

Another Maddening Young Love Monday - another week has gone by without any word from Joel, which worries me more than anything right now.
People tell me: He's military trained, don't worry. I'm sure he's fine, he's probably just super busy. Try not to worry. But I still worry - there are some things that even military training can't protect you against.
People tell me: "Well, you knew he was in the military when you got involved" - as if this is supposed to make things easier? It doesn't make it easier, at all. I don't see the line of reasoning behind this comment at all. How is me knowing that he was in the military when I got into this supposed to make it any easier? In fact, it only makes it harder, more difficult, because I know that the chances of something happening to him are even higher than a "normal" person. At least, if he wasn't in the Air Force, or even if I didn't know he was, I could innocently assume that he's in New Jersey and just super busy with work and life, and my worries would be "normal." Instead, I have no idea where he is right now, I like to assume that he's still in NJ and just super busy, but as it has been over 2 weeks without a single word from him, I have no idea. So now my worries are where is he and I pray to God that he's okay.
People tell me: He's such a jerk for leaving you like this. You need to just move on and forget him. - But what if it wasn't his choice? What if I don't think he's a jerk? What if I don't want to move on? What if I can't forget him?
People tell me: Two weeks is a long time to go without hearing from him (As if I didn't know this already?!) They ask - He still hasn't responded to a single email? That's not good. - Thanks for reminding me. Maybe you should just try to move on. - I don't want to. You need someone who will be there for you every day, when you need him. - Soldiers need someone to love them, too. Especially at times when they can't express their love for others, or even themselves. What would our country be like if the soldiers gave up their fight, like people want me to give up my love for Joel?
People tell me: It's way too early to be feeling the things that I feel for Joel. "You've only known each other, been talking to each other, since January, you can't possibly feel real love this early. You haven't even talked on the phone yet, you don't know what his voice sounds like. You don't know very much about him. How can you be in love already? How can you give him your heart this soon?" - Sometimes things just happen. Sometimes you just fall, and you can't stop it. Sometimes you don't want to stop it. Sometimes you just know, things just click, from the very beginning. Does it matter that we haven't talked on the phone? Does it matter that I don't know what his voice sounds like? No, not really. Yes, it seems weird in a way. Yes, I want to hear him say my name, say I love you. But that doesn't make me love him any less.
I know that all that people say, they're just saying to try to make me feel better. And I appreciate that they care enough to try to make me feel better. But I also know that no matter what they say, it won't change how I feel. It won't change the worry, it won't change the love. It won't stop the tears from falling from worry, nor will it stop the smiles through the tears from thoughts of him. There's only one person that will be able to change anything right now, and that's Joel. I will continue to pray every night that he's okay and that I do hear from him soon. I ask for your prayers for him also, pray to whoever you pray to. And tune in tomorrow for Obsessed with Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment